As I progressed in my pregnancy, It was a lot harder to find the motivation and do most activities in order to stay fit and active. Its actually really important to stay active during pregnancy for a number of reasons including; reducing the risk of gestational diabetes and pre- eclampsia, exercise releases endorphins, improves circulation and maintains pregnancy weight. Im not the type of person to go to the gym and spend most of my week exercising because I feel like most workouts can be done at home that don’t require gym equipment. I would also like to disclaimer that I’m not a qualified personal trainer or anything this is just what I do to stay fit and healthy.
I aim to exersise 3 times a week for about half an hour to an hour either in the morning ( when Im motivated to get out of bed) or in the afternoon after work. I start my workout by walking around the block with my dog Inca which takes about 15 minutes and is approximately 2kms. I start my workout walking because its a moderate activity which prepares my muscles for the initial workout and allows time to warm up.
A Pea In A Pod Maternity Leggins
Below I will list in order how many reps and explain the workout activity. This can vary for everyone and feel free to take tips from my workout routine and implement them in your own.
WORKOUT 1 – ARMS
These workouts require hand weights. Repeat these workouts 3 times
Bicep curl x15
- Start by standing with your feet shoulder width apart
- Let your arms hang beside your and allow palms to face outwards
- Raise weights towards your shoulders and return to starting position
Standing row x 15
- Start by standing with your legs shoulder width apart
- Lean upper body forward and let arms hang
- Raise both hands towards hips and tense arm muscles and torso while doing this. Also keep shoulders back
Standing tricep extension x 15
- Just like the standing row, start by standing with your legs shoulder width apart, lean forward and raise both hands towards hips
- Swing arms backwards towards the back of you
- Swing arms back towards hips
WORKOUT 2 – LEGS AND BUTT
Repeat these workouts 3 times
Squats to reverse lunge x20
- Start by standing parallel and positioning your feet hip width apart
- Bend both knees until thighs are parallel to the ground
- Squeeze your butt and thighs and come back to starting position
- Keeping your shoulders in line with your hips, take a step backwards with your left foot and bend both knees to 90 degrees to perform a reverse lunge. Press through the front heel to bring your back leg to the starting position.
- Do a second squat and reverse lunge on the opposite side to complete one rep
Standing leg lift
- Start by standing normally then raise one leg behind your body
- Pulse leg up and down or in circular motions for about 20 seconds or count 30 pulses.
- Return back to standing position and continue on other leg
Please feel free to hold a chair or wall for this activity
Kickbacks x 20 on each leg
- Begin on all fours on a soft surface ( yoga mat or carpet)
- Extend preferred leg straight up behind you, keeping your abs engaged and your spine straight. Return to starting position
- Repeat on opposite side
Leg raise x10 each leg
- Lie on your left side with the arm closest to the floor supporting your head.
- Lift top leg above head and squeeze butt while doing so then lower leg back to starting position.
I focus mainly on my legs, butt and arms because I want to improve the legs and butt region and gain muscle mass in my arms. I hope you guys like my pregnancy workout routine and comment if you would like to see more! ❤